Yesterday, I was on my normal café hunt when a man started talking to me as we were crossing the street from the metro. He said something to me in French. I gave the courtesy smile and nodded along. When I didn’t respond, he repeated, in French.
“Désolé, je ne comprends pas…” (sorry, I don’t understand), I began to say.
“What? You’re not French? I thought you were French. You look French!” he exclaimed.
Mission accomplished. My black uniform, cat eye sunglasses and near-perfect bun had fooled him.
Five minutes into the conversation, he repeated, “You’re really not French? I mean, I know you’re Asian, but you look French!” Merci, monsieur, I get it. I politely said goodbye and walked away.
So, that gave me some validation that perhaps I know a thing or two about French fashion. Here are a few style rules:
1. Always anchor your outfit in black. Pair with other dark colors.
2. Essential extras: sunglasses, lipstick and a top knot.
3. Keep jewelry simple and timeless (pearl earrings, gold watch, one ring).
4. Skinny ankle pants. Just do it.
5. Flats are a must (if you walk everywhere, like me).
top: Banana Republic // sunglasses: ASOS // earrings: Kate Spade // lipstick: Clinique // jeans: J.Crew // flats: Marc by Marc Jacobs // hair via Instagram